Monday, July 4, 2011

10 fashion items Kenyan Ladies have killed :-)


I can safely say that Nairobi is not the fashion capital of Africa but I recognize the long way she has come and I am proud of the growth I have seen in the industry over the years…

There is one thing we Kenyan ladies do myself included… we know how to exhaust a particular fashion items that is considered trendy or in more Kenyan terms that are “in fashion”.  Do you remember the infamous Kenya uniform? The skirt? It’s grotesque fabric and it’s shapelessness… yet the Kenyan woman stuck with it until it’s death…very sad J

So many trendy things catch on especially in the city but Kenyan ladies take it a bit too far… here are a couple of fashion items that I think should be taken down a notch or just completely do away with them…

Disclaimer: I might be a bit rough/tough on this topic… only because these things really disturb me…

      Plastic shoes










When I was a kid I loved my Bubble Gummers sandack shoes and when Bata or whoever introduced the plastic flats I felt like I was in heaven… I wore them everywhere, they were comfortable and even thought they were essential in everyone’s wardrobe…this changed though, when did it become okay to wear them to work??  #enoughsaid 



















Empire Waist belts


This is an awesome trend… however; I think we need to watch how we pair our outfits when we decide to wear one. Empire belts are supposed to give an illusion of a small waist so if you have back fat and muffin tops all cascading on the poor belt means it aint working for you.

1.     Colourful skinny jeans/jeggings








Purple, luminous yellow and green, red etc. etc… lets just stop!


P.S skinny jeans were not made for every body type… so if your legs look like chipolatas or you spot a muffin top just quit wearing them… 





























Big Handbags









Ladies what do we really carry in these bags?? and do we really need them to be that big??























     Mary Jane's





I sincerely have no problems with Mary Jane’s in general… when I was a little girl I loved them and the feeling is still mutual.  I actually think they are classy and stylish! However, the Nairobi market has these patent leather (read extremely plastic) Mary Jane’s that look like were manufactured in gikomba (a Kenyan flee market) and are cheap and tacky…I am sorry if you own a pair




Gladiator sandals



We just need to move on… as comfortable as they are, our market is filled with so many fake and ugly looking sandals I just think it’s time for this trend to end!











 Hosiery

                                                         

Ladies pantyhose, stockings or whatever you call them are NOT a substitute for trousers!!!!







     Boots/uggs 


















Ladies in Nairobi make me happy
J why do we wear ugg boots or boots in general when it’s hot??  



    Tights/leggings

These are sooooooo 2008 lets get out of this funk… but I must admit they are very comfortable J

















Maxi dress


 J I do not have much to say about this… just go to any event weddings, party’s even funerals… you’ll see what I mean 

12 comments:

  1. I am with this article 110%!
    Most of the items mentioned (apart from big bags cos im guilty on that) need to be given some rest!
    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fay i am glad you feel me on this!!! stay tuned for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been laughing since I started reading this article. So guilty of the sandals infact I bought a pair from a famous mall very recently.
    KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen... i am also guilty of a couple of things but we have to do things in moderation...Check out my other posts and stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @BataKenya Thank you for reading and bubble gummers rock!!! :) stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stockings arent substitutes for trousers, I wish you could make this a billboard!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha!!! guilty currently loving and rocking the stockings and leggings almost every weekend and i will definitely bleed it dry!! what's wrong with the maxi dress i thing it is forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. true, very true and sad

    ReplyDelete
  9. why do you have to do trends be stylish thats why i don't do trends but stockings and leggings are here to stay they are just like Denim never go out of fashion depends on how you wear them same for maxi dresses One thing dress your body and this are just opinions and just like assholes everyone has one and they stink.... keep blogging gal

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Elsie am sure we can find a way to do that :) stay tuned!!!!

    @anonymous hahaha do not bleed it dry! you will become a fashion victim if you do :) but seriously there must be variety in your wardrobe :) i agree maxi dresses are timeless but again everything in moderation!

    @anonymous thank you for reading...

    @anonymous thats true when you know your personal style you won't need to struggle to keep up with trends... i like that "dress your body" cheers! and keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete