Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MY NEW LOVE....




My best friend has this thing where, when she gets a new pair of shoes they never get off her feet… she will match every piece of clothing she owns to that shoe for at least a month! I consider this one of my pet peeves, which she has heard me go on and on about…Anyway, you know how they say that bad habits are like a comfortable bed or birds of a feather… Yeah, so I caught on to that bad habit… good thing is, I found the most perfect, trend proof and classic unisex pair of shoes ever created!









The classic brogue































I know am a couple of seasons off on this one…seeing as I made a point of jumping off the trend carousel many styles and trends have gone past me without notice. But now I have caught on! The brogue is arguably the most comfortable shoe next to Bata bullets (my Kenyan audience can attest to that)…when I first saw a pair in one of the thrift shops/markets they reminded me of old British men, my grandad and Dr. Quin the medicine woman (remember that show?)… I thought they were ugly and could not think of anything to pair them with and then I saw this black pair…and the rest they say is history!









































So the brogue originated from the Gaels and it was an outdoor or country shoe worn on semi formal and casual occasions. The shoe was normally made from untanned leather and had little perforations that allowed water to drain from the shoes. It was a shoe mostly worn by men but in time it became acceptable for women to wear them. They come in various styles, the most common being the wingtip brogue commonly worn by Jazz fellows (the black and white classic brogue), Longwing, semi and Monk brogues etc








Today, the brogue has become a wardrobe essential, they come in different styles from dress shoes, high heels, flats and boots all embedded by the perforation of the material used to make the shoe…You can pair it with a dress, a fitting suit, trousers, a collegiate look, geek chic look, jeans, skirts, Capri’s and many more. They are even formal enough (depending on the industry you are in) to be worn to the office… Join the fashion revolution! Get a brogue :)









*pictures downloaded form the internet, no rights reserved :)


1 comment:

  1. Hey we totally did a post on brogues called Vintage dreams in November check it out

    ReplyDelete