Friday, June 10, 2011

The Greatest Accessory
















As a young girl I was always fascinated by big watches… at that time my favourite brand was swatch (then famously known for their big round faces) I had them in all colours and I adored my big round yellow as if it were my blanky. The bigger the watches were the more they intrigued me…By default I had to wear men’s watches since ladies watches were much smaller than I desired. I think I only wore a ladies watch once while in high school… you know the tiny ones that you have to squint to tell the time…yeah ☺






Like always, I tried to do some research on the history of clocks and time keeping appliances but to be honest… the information was a bit out my league. Physics was never my strong point, but this is what I got from it… The current system of time keeping, also known as sexagesimal timekeeping was developed circa 2000 BC by the Egyptians (it had to be them ☺) where they divided the day into a 12 hour system using the suns movement. Many other methods of time keeping emerged from different societies e.g. timestick, hourglass, candle clock shadow clock etc etc. and have evolved through out the years… So please by all means, read more on this and educate me…






















My love for men’s watches has never diminished but rather grown by leaps and bounds. I literally dream of when I’ll own my 1st Vacheron Constatin watch maybe a Pattek Phillipe or even a Audemars Piguet… I think of when I will attend my 1st Basel-world exhibition (if I can ever afford it ☺) or any other watch exhibition especially in Africa. The other day my friend and I were discussing how he spotted this Michael Kors watch and how he is trying to decide whether it’s worth the $300… I think any watch is an investment! Some are collectables but others are timeless accessories, so if you can afford it my dear friend…go ahead!










I think there are three types of watches that one should have in their closet…

The Everyday watch: this is a basic watch that is more functional than stylish… what matters here is the size of the face, features it has and it’s durability. It cam be a digital watch, leather band watch or a stainless steel one it really does not matter…Brands such as Rado, Kenneth Cole, Seiko, Wyler Genevive, MT-G etc come to mind!


The dress watch: this is basically a watch that you wear with your smartest outfit, this watch shows your status in society, your fashion sense, your self esteem… this watch should set you apart and exude power ☺ (I like that)… brands such as Omega, Brietling, Tag Heuer, Corum, Jean Richard, Cartier, Sturhling, Longines, Rolex (original) etc are what you need to look into…










The high-end watch: this is an investment, something to collect and pass on like an heirloom. They are definitely expensive and delicate and should be worn only on very special occasions. There is really nothing much to say about these watches as they speak for themselves… Patek Philippe, Louis Moinet Magistralis, Audemars Piguet , Hublot, Vacheron Constantin are just but a few names to note…











How do you then pick which watch suits you?


Body Type
I know I have said this before and I may be preaching to the choir but again, knowing what works for you and your body type is very important! Same thing applies to watches; the size the watch you wear should be relative to your body size/wrist, so if you are a big man/woman wear a watch that has a slightly bigger face than a standard watch as this will make it look smaller.












Personal Style
Are you into rainbow colours, earth tones or muted colours?? Do you prefer silver or gold? Leather or metal strap? Knowing your preferences will ensure that you pick a watch that suits your personal style and one that also does not clash with what you wear.











Profession/lifestyle/functionality





Scubba divers or mechanics prefer durable water resistant watches, Lawyers and lawmakers much dressier watches, sports men and techies are definitely into more casual pieces… it’s important to have several watches that are functional depending on where you work or what you do in your free time. A dress watch and a casual watch are a must have in everyone’s closet men and women alike…








I hope I have helped you in some way or the other… I’ll write more on watches as I learn more about them! Stay tuned ☺




Apologies if the pictures are not gender sensitive ☺








*pictures retrieved from the internet

1 comment: